Popular Essential Oils &
Uses to Support Health, Naturally
Lavender - Probably the most popular essential oil, lavender has been cherished for its unmistakable aroma and its therapeutic properties for thousands of years.
In ancient times, the Egyptians and Romans used Lavender for mummification, bathing, relaxation, cooking, and as a perfume; its ability to calm and soothe the mind and body continue to be Lavender’s most notable qualities.
Lavender is frequently used to soothe skin irritations and help skin recover quickly, applying it to the back of the neck and temples helps reduce muscle tension and inhaling it promotes relaxation as well as a restful night’s sleep, making it an ideal oil to diffuse at bedtime and when stress levels are high.
Due to Lavender’s versatility and soothing properties, it is considered the must-have oil to have on hand at all times. dōTERRA® Lavender essential oil is sourced out of France.
Uses for Lavender Oil
• Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep.
• Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand for minor burns, cuts, and scrapes.
• Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle. (Use glass spray bottles with essential oils as the oils will eat away the plastic)
• Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck to ease muscle tension.
• Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
Peppermint - A high menthol content, like that found in the dōTERRA® Peppermint essential oil, distinguishes the best quality Peppermint from other products.
Frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum for oral health, Peppermint also helps to alleviate stomach upset and promotes healthy respiratory function. dōTERRA® Peppermint is sourced out of Washington state in the USA.
Uses for Peppermint Oil
• Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
• Rub on the stomach or take internally for occasional digestive discomfort.
• Add a drop of Peppermint to your chocolate Trim Shake for a yummy twist.
• Rather than grabbing an unhealthy snack midafternoon, re-energize by applying Peppermint to the palms of hands and deeply inhaling.
Melaleuca - More commonly known as “Tea Tree,” Melaleuca essential oil has over 92 different compounds and limitless applications. Melaleuca is best known for its purifying properties. It can be used to cleanse and purify the skin and nails and to promote a clear, healthy complexion.
Taken internally, Melaleuca enhances immunity when seasonal threats are high, and Melaleuca can be used on surfaces throughout the home to protect against environmental threats. Melaleuca is frequently used on minor skin irritations to soothe the skin and help it recover quickly.
Diffusing Melaleuca will help purify and freshen the air. dōTERRA® Melaleuca essential oil is sourced out of Australia.
Uses for Melaleuca Oil
• For occasional skin irritations, apply 1–2 drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
• Add 1–2 drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to enhance immunity.
• Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving to prevent razor burn.
• Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and strengthen nails.
• Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
Oregano - Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess purifying and antioxidant properties.
Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin.
Oregano essential oil contains phenols—powerful antioxidants that ward off free radicals. One drop in liquid, taken daily, can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano should be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity.
In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano supports healthy digestion by promoting the secretion of digestive juices. When diffused, Oregano acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends and can help maintain healthy respiratory function. dōTERRA® Oregano essential oil is sourced out of Turkey.
Uses for Oregano Oil
• Take one drop daily to boost immunity when seasonal threats are high.
• Rub Oregano essential oil and Fractionated Coconut Oil on the bottom of your feet to help boost your immune system.
• Put one drop or less in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
• Put 10 drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle with water for a surface spray.
• Mix one to two drops with water and gargle to soothe an irritated throat.
Frankincense - Renowned as one of the most prized and precious essential oils, Frankincense has extraordinary internal and external health benefits. In addition to its notoriety in the New Testament, the Babylonians and Assyrians would burn Frankincense in religious ceremonies, and the ancient Egyptians used Frankincense resin for everything from perfume to salves for soothing skin.
This centuries-old knowledge contributes to the modern uses of Frankincense today. It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks. As the king of oils, Frankincense is known to promote cellular health and immunity and can be consumed daily for these internal benefits.
It also promotes a healthy inflammatory response and acts as an overall tonic to the body’s systems, helping them function optimally. When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense induces feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness. dōTERRA® Frankincense is sourced out of Somalia.
Uses for Frankincense Oil
• Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening or working to promote a normal inflammatory response.
• Can help promote youthful, radiant–looking skin and slow the signs of aging by reducing the appearance of skin imperfections.
• Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and balance mood swings.
• Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
There are two major factors that play a role in the effectiveness and quality of essential oils:
1. Plant Potency:
When selecting which plants are to be used for essential oil production, it is important that the plant is grown in the correct soil, temperature, and climate. When these factors are optimal, the plant will be able to reach its highest potency.
2. Oil Purity:
When oils contain fillers or other elements that dilute and alter their purity, their ability to function at their highest capacity is compromised. In order to enjoy all the benefits of essential oils, they must be used in their purest form.
dōTERRA has set the bar for essential oil purity and potency through rigorous scientific research and advanced testing of each oil that is put into production. Proper extraction and quality control methods also ensure that dōTERRA essential oils are free of any contaminants such as pesticides or other chemical residues.
To find out more about dōTERRA essential oils, and how you can incorporate them into a healthy home environment and healing family lifestyle, contact Will & Misty Cottam at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out their site at mydoterra.com/wmcottam
Make sure to mention "TwinasLatinas" for free oil samples!